Monday 20 February 2012

The Good Shepherd

Many, if not all of us can recite Psalm 23 by heart. But how many of us have ever actually sat down to carefully examine what the words actually mean? I know the good book is filled with loads of promises from God, but what i find quite amazing is that a lot of them are found   in the single chapter of Psalm 23.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTeiDfkrBge_i460QTewgy4rPqg0mfz5n6F7-hKV--GGGIuINWStQ



The Lord is my Shepherd.......Gods promise of care.
I believe this first verse calls us to immediately put ourselves into the care of Jesus Christ. We see in Isa 40:11, He promises to feed His flock like a shepherd, but nothing beats Jhn10:11; The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.

I shall not want.......Gods promise of provision.
A popular story that comes to mind is that of Abraham and Isaac, when Abraham answered Isaacs question regarding the lamb for the sacrifice by saying ‘my son, God will provide for Himself the lamb for a burnt offering’. I find it very reassuring to know that God sees our needs and provides for them. Having said all this. It’s important to note that this doesn’t mean the world is your oyster, that you receive each and everything you desire. It simply means that you will lack nothing that is necessary for your best interest. A very popular passage that illustrates this promise is Philippians 4:19; And my God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. 

He makes me to lie down in green pastures....God’s promise of rest.
Simply put, i think this means fully trusting that Jesus has done all the work of salvation for us. We’re to rest in his saving grace. This is what Jesus means when he urges us in Matt11:28, “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest”. It means the end of all your fleshly striving, all your human efforts to obtain peace. And it means relying totally on Jesus’ work for you.

He leads me beside the still waters....Gods promise of peace.
God promises we will find the much yearned for peace of heart and mind we long for as ‘’He leads us beside the still waters’’. He, the shepherd, knows all about our need for peace and provides the peace we need for fulfilling His will for our lives. (Further reading Jhn14:27)

He restores my soul.....Gods promise of restoration and healing.
Life is hard! No one is a stranger to its downs, pains and hurts. Unfortunately, many people stay down when they fall, they remain broken and crushed in spirit. But the good news is that we have a shepherd- The good Shepherd- to walk with us along life’s way. Armed with the promise of healing restoration, we can all walk through life with the help of the Lord, we can handle its challenges and heart aches.

He leads me in the path of righteousness.......Gods promise of guidance.
Its true that we live in a time were the world seems to honour those who can go with its flow, those willing to compromise and bend to its will and ways. But we are the righteous saints of a righteous God. And He makes sure we walk in His straight paths of righteousness. And He is faithful to tell us in His word exactly what those paths are. He clearly spells out what He considers right and wrong and for those so called ‘grey areas’, he reveals the truth to those who diligently seek it. Christs example we follow and that its to Gods glory when we obey.

Though I walk through the valley ......you are with me.......Gods promise of presence. One of my fav bible verses is Matt28:20; I am with you always, even to the end of the age. So keep walking. Do not pause. Do not falter, for God is with you.

I will fear no evil; for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me......Gods promise of Comfort.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies, You anoint my head with oil, My cup runs over.....Gods promise of protection. (Further reading Ps7:1, Ps 31:15)

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me, all the days of my life.....Gods promise of Hope This to me speaks of moving from experience to faith. You dwell in the presence of the Lord, under His protection, your every need satisfied. Believe that every moment of your future will be filled with Gods richest blessings too. Surely!!!

And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.....Gods promise of a home.
God has called us to prepare for our journey back home.

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment