Thursday 4 February 2016

Creamy Banana Bulgur Porridge

They say i have a problem. A bread problem. Some say I’m addicted, but I’d say is more an intense love like for bread. My husband has been trying to get me to google “the dangers of too much bread”, even though I keep telling him that after me, bread is the best thing ever created. K go on, I dare you to dispute that.

At the beginning of the year as we always do I decided to make healthier choices with regards to my diet. In the past and by past I mean up until last week, I’d usually have either bread, cereal, bread, pancakes or bread K  for breakfast, that better not be judgement I hear coming from you! Yes I love like bread. Bite me! Anyhooo I decided to 
try something different. Porridge. Yes, yes and yes, I know what you are thinking. There’s nothing new about porridge. And you are half right, well sorta…kinda…ish.

I’m sure most of us are used to oatmeal porridge, but I challenge you to try bulgur wheat. It’s delicious, lower calorie, lower fat and higher in fiber that oats.

What is it?

Bulgur wheat by definition is a derivative of whole wheat grain that has been partially pre-cooked. As a whole grain, it is a naturally high-fiber, low-fat, low-calorie vegetarian and vegan food ingredient. Bulgur wheat is not suitable for those on a gluten-free diet.



Where to get it 
Bulgur can be found at most supermarkets and health food stores.  I purchased a 500g bag at Goodies in Ikoyi.

When buying bulgur, it’s important to look for 100% whole grain bulgur wheat and not cracked wheat. The two are often sold under similar labels, however cracked wheat may not be in the whole grain form. 

What do I do with it?
A WHOLE LOT! I’ve used it as a sub for rice and recently to make porridge for breakfast. It’s quite easy and quick to make.



Recipe
¼ cup bulgur wheat
½ cup water
2 table spoons (uncooked) oats
½ cup milk of your choice (I used cow’s milk, but any nut milk will do)
¼ cup topping of your choice (fruit, nuts, raisins, chai seeds, e.t.c)

Put the bulgur wheat and water in a sauce pan, boil at low to medium heat until all the water has evaporated and the wheat has softened up (but isn’t mushy, though you can boil with an extra ¼ cup of water if you want it mushy).

If you like your porridge hot, transfer the bulgur to a bowl, top with the oats and slightly warmed milk and finish off with a topping of your choice.

I prefer to have mine cold, so I boil the bulgur put it in the fridge overnight, then top with oats, cold milk and mashed bananas just before I eat it in the morning. The bananas make it creamy and adds just the right amount of sweetness for me, but i occasionally sneak in a little maple syrup, more for the flavour than anything else.

This is aprx 304 calories (depending on the type of milk and toppings you use), the bulgur wheat itself is only about 120 calories and yields approximately ½ to ¾ cup of cooked wheat.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment